Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cheap / lightweight First Aid Kit

You can buy a ready-made first aid kit and spend between $3-120 dollars. I prefer to steal a couple of bandaids out of each of the boxes in the medicine cabinet. Any oddball stuff, like blister pads, you might need to go buy. Depending on how much I care about the well being of my hiking friends will determine how many options I add to the basic kit. I used to hike with children. Now that I hike with adults, I figure they should know better, but it’s nice to offer someone a little comfort once in a while.

Basic Kit:
Burn gel
Alcohol swabs
Butterfly closures
Dr. Scholl’s Blister Treatment
various sized bandaids
3 SM::2 LG::2 Square::fingertip::knuckle
2″ guaze pads
Eye pad
Diphenhydramine 25mg
Acetaminophen 500mg
Hydrocortisone cream
Antibiotic Ointment
J&J First-aid Cloth Tape – 1 Inch
Liquid Skin or octylcyanoacrylate glue
Freezer-type ZipTop bag

== at this point, I’m at 6 oz!
elsewhere in pack:
Ace Wrapper
lip balm
insect repellent
Space blanket (mylar sheet)
more heavier stuff:
Instant Cold Pack
triangle sling
vinyl gloves
topical benedryl
Mosquito relief

No comments:

Post a Comment